Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Recipe: Breakfast Burrito

I recently stocked up on some avocados at the grocery store because 1) they are super healthy and 2) I have read that they are a great first finger food for babies.  The soft, banana-like consistency makes them perfect for the little ones to mash between their gums.  Very kid-friendly.  Avocados are a good source of vitamin K, dietary fiber, vitamin B6, vitamin C, folate and copper. They are also higher in potassium than a medium banana.

Well, it turns out my little one is not so keen on trying it  :)  I don't know if it's the flavor or consistency, but she just did not enjoy it like I had hoped.  Oh well, we will try again soon but in the meantime I was left with aging avocados in the fridge!  I hate throwing out food, especially healthy stuff!  I could have made guacamole but I didn't have any limes, and I did use some of the mashed avocado as a sandwich spread with some deli turkey and whole grain bread (which is also delicious, by the way!).  I have seen recipes for breakfast tacos using avocado chunks, and I wanted to give it a try.  The result was incredibly tasty!

Ingredients:

2 teaspoons olive oil                                                  
1/4 of a small red onion, diced
1/2 of a green bell pepper, seeded and diced
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 egg and 1 egg white
1 ounce shredded Cheddar cheese
2 whole wheat tortillas
2 tablespoons salsa, divided
1/2 of an avocados, cubed
Hot sauce

Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.  Cook the onions and peppers until soft and slightly charred.  Season with red pepper, salt, and freshly ground black pepper.  Transfer to a dish and keep warm.

Whisk the egg and egg white and stir in the cheese.  Heat the remaining teaspoon of olive oil in the skillet (I used the same one) over medium heat.  Reduce the heat to low and add the egg-cheese mixture, scrambling until cooked through, about 3 minutes.  Prepare the tortillas by spreading each with 1 tablespoon of the salsa.  Layer each with half of the onion and peppers, and half of the eggs.  Top each with half of the avocado.  Season, to taste, with hot sauce.  Roll up burrito style and serve!

This would also be great with some fresh chopped baby spinach added to the onion and pepper mixture toward the end of cooking, it just didn't occur to me at the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment